In my pantry today:
- 1.5 c leftover cooked black beans and tomatoes
- 1 c leftover overcooked white beans
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
Melt butter on L then turn up temp to M and add white beans. Coat and smash about 75% of their population as thickening. Add seasonings and tomatoes/beans. Mix. Add almond milk and stir together until thick as country gravy. And the country in India is really quite stunning — here’s a Google Image Search to prove it — so imagine you’d like their gravies. Serve over Basmati rice. 3 spoons.
The ground flax is, very hopefully obviously, not for flavor. Just healthings; the turmeric you see in most recipes is for the same reason. Did you know turmeric was an awesome little thing to add to your diet? Here are 20 reasons to add turmeric to your diet:
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.*
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
– from www.healthdiraries.com
* I highly recommend you get some for your cupboard even if you don’t add it to every meal (we don’t!). When I almost removed the top 1/4 of my thumb with a butcher knife not long ago, I kept the (ugly, gaping and probably needing stitches) wound packed with turmeric and within two weeks it was done healing. There is no visible scar or sign that this injury ever occurred. Jus’ sayin.